Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Above Sea Level

No blogging till Sunday or so. Plenty to report after that, I hope.


Warmish days and distinctly cool nights in this border zone between summer and fall. It’s rained so much lately that the grass has reverted to green, and grown enough so that I decided to mow it today. It's been so dry that I haven't mowed in about two months. That strikes me as a good lawn-care schedule.


I forgot to mention yesterday that the former courthouse building in Woodstock, Ill., tells you that it's 954 ft. above sea level and 373 ft. above Lake Michigan. These facts aren’t posted on signs, but carved into the building on either side of the main entrance. Someone thought that was worth doing, as if to reassure the citizens of McHenry County that deep water had no chance of lapping at the steps of this sturdy building.


Unless, of course, a large meteorite hits somewhere near the Great Lakes and the shock pushes a 400-foot wall of water westward from Lake Michigan. Then the courthouse would be about 27 feet too short, but it isn't a scenario that’s going to keep me awake at 4 a.m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home