Thursday, October 13, 2005

Names in Stone

It’s going to take me a while to track down all of these names, but here’s a complete list, in order from south to north: Pulitzer, Bowles, Medill, Franklin, Lawson, Greeley, Bennett and Gadana, or maybe Cadana, it was hard to tell.


“Nothing’s written in stone,” is the turn of phrase, but in fact these names are written, two at a time, in stone on the side of Two North Riverside, a building in downtown Chicago that I walked past today. I had business downtown, and my route passed that way – near where I used to work, so I know Two North Riverside fairly well. Or thought I did. In all the years I walked past that building, on the plaza next to the Chicago River, I never noticed these names.


It’s an office building now, but when new in 1928 it was the Daily News building, home of a paper that succumbed to popular aliteracy about 50 years later. I recognize a number of the names, of course: Pulitzer, Medill, Greeley and Frankin, if it's Benjamin. Newspapermen all, and it would seem reasonable that the others are too, though not quite as well remembered.

1 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't find anything (in the minute I had to devote to the matter) about Cadana or Gadana on Google, but "Larson" is surely Victor Lawson, founder of the Daily News and a founder of the AP, and "Bennett" is presumably either "James Gordon Bennett" who founded the New York Herald, or his son, GJB, Jr.,who sent Stanley to look for Livingston. ANK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home