Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Joy of Lex (Misprint Chapter)

The best misprint -- if that's the right word for a mistake in text on a web site -- I've seen in a while: "Buying real estate in Maui is a taunting task."


Which instantly brought to mind a certain movie character: "So, you haole pig-dog, you want real estate in Maui? I fart in your general direction."


Of course, there's really only one thing daunting about buying real estate in Maui, namely the astronomical prices. If that's no object, there won't be much daunt, or probably much taunt either.


Reminds me of an actual paper misprint I saw, or maybe I was just told about it, years ago, about how such-and-such a new tax would be spent on useful activities, such as "paving toads." Ah, the poor toads. The state paved them in jest, and they became highways in earnest.

1 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An allusion to Plutarch! You don't see that every day. ANK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home