Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Jake the Peg & Lamb Chop

This is a spot of entertainment from our Commonwealth friends, in the form of Rolf Harris. We here in the United States remember Harris, if we remember him at all, for "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport." But just watching him do "Jake the Peg" makes me think he's tapping a vein of nostalgia for it among the British audience -- a pretty large vein, considering he's performing at the Royal Albert Hall.



About a day after seeing this, Ann asked me, "How does the guy with three legs buy shoes?" I suggested that he had to buy two pair, and keep one as a spare.


Speaking of nostalgia, I can't say I was ever a fan of Lamp Chop -- who's still around -- but whenever the national conventions roll around, I give a passing thought for Lamp Chop. Why? Shari Lewis and Lamp Chop did televised appeals for donations to the Democratic National Committee during the 1972 national convention. I'm sure I saw them then; I was visiting my uncle and aunt in Oklahoma that summer during the week of the convention, and they watched some of the coverage.


Maybe Lamb Chop would have been a better choice that year than Tom Eagleton for veep. As far as I know, there's nothing in the Constitution that prohibits a sock puppet from holding high office.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home