Thursday, September 24, 2009

Alt Rainbow Fish

Even if you have no interest in children's books, the vehemence of the some of the reviews of The Rainbow Fish (Marcus Pfister) makes for some interesting reading. A lot of people really, really hate the book; plenty of others just love it to pieces. I'm not all that fond of it myself, for various reasons, but I don't hate it enough to deny reading it to Ann this week, at her request after she got it at the school library. I suspect that all she's really going to remember from it are the shiny scales.


"Don't make up endings!" she commands me every night, but I do anyway. So far I've come up with about three alternate endings for The Rainbow Fish. I figure I've been inspired by "Mr. Mike's Least-Loved Bedtime Tales." The actual text is in roman, my additions in bold.


1. Finally the Rainbow Fish had only one shining scale left. His most prized possessions had been given away, yet he was very happy. For a few days, the fish who received shining scales played with Rainbow Fish, but soon they didn't come around much, because the truth was, Rainbow Fish was not very interesting. Also, fish tend to be ungrateful, even for the most special presents.


2. Finally the Rainbow Fish had only one shining scale left. His most prized possessions had been given away, yet he was very happy. Soon, a mean-looking school of fish from another part of the ocean came to Rainbow Fish.

"We want some shining scales, too," growled the biggest of the fish.

"I only have one left," said Rainbow Fish.

So they ganged up on Rainbow Fish, beat him up, and took his last scale. His so-called friends, each of whom had received shining scales from Rainbow Fish, were too scared to help him.


3. Finally the Rainbow Fish had only one shining scale left. His most prized possessions had been given away, yet he was very happy. Suddenly, all the fish saw a large shadow engulfing them -- it was the net of a Chilean fishing trawler. Rainbow Fish and his new friends were caught before they could escape. Later, they all become fish sticks.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always found that book creepy, even if it was cool to look at. I like your endings much better. CS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home