Sunday, December 13, 2009

Super Bright Lights in Motion

On Saturday I brought a Douglas fir into the house and turned the job of decorating it to younger hands than mine, except for light installation, though Lilly is in fact old enough. When I was 12, I put the lights on the tree, including the task of finding just the right branches for the two surviving bubble lights in a string that was older than I was, and delicately screwing them into their sockets once the string was in place.


This year we have a new string that I don't remember acquiring, which means that Yuriko either got it in the days after Christmas last year, when such things are vastly marked down, or at a yard sale in the summer, when few thoughts are given over to Christmas decoration.


Anyway, we have them: 150 Super Bright Lights in Motion. "You have purchased the most unique Christmas light set available," the box tells me. Maybe so. The lights are controlled by a "digital memory switch" that "holds previously selected function until changed." The string, which is made up of 3.5V twinkle lights, has eight functions; that is, you can set it to light in eight different ways. Cool.


The eight ways are -- in order, written on the digital memory switch -- 1. All Functions; 2. Slow Chasing; 3. Random Twinkle; 4. Colors Fade; 5. Chasing Twinkle; 6. All Fade OFF/ON; 7. Dancing Lights; 8. Steady Burn. I haven't sat and stared at all of the functions just yet, so I'm a little short on descriptions for them. But so far Dancing Lights (I think), which go on and off in patches up and down the string, seem to be everyone's favorite.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home