Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Lilliputian Earthquake

So that's what that was. This morning the AP reported: "A small earthquake has hit northern Illinois, waking up scores of residents before dawn but causing no major damage. The 4.3-magnitude earthquake hit near Virgil, about 50 miles northwest of Chicago, at 4 a.m. Wednesday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey."


I woke up for it. As far as I could tell, no one else in the house did. The bed shook and I thought Huuuuh? (In as much as I can express it in a word.) I don't think "earthquake" came to mind. I concluded that a salt truck had driven by and given the house a rattle. Very large trucks have done that before.


But no. Gaia herself shook my residence. Just because she can. Disaster isn't just for distant people. You know that foot of snow on your roof? It could be on your head, instantly. And don't forget, tornado season is coming soon.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home