Monday, April 19, 2010

"Bug Bomb Explodes in Apartment Complex"

I scan Google News many times a day in the course of my work, and I feel like I live a nice, quiet life when I put in the word "apartment" into the search function. I'm not looking for lurid local-news stories, but information about the apartment market. Still, I mostly get the kind of items that lead on local TV news.


If I were more simple-minded than I am, I might conclude that apartment dwelling is dangerous, conveniently forgetting the many years I lived in apartments without serious incident. Unless you count the time a neighbor down the hall at the Sunshine Mansion in Osaka had a cooking fire, and the rest of us residents got to see Japanese firemen in action. But they didn't even make us leave the building.


Anyway, I ran such a search at about 10:30 this morning and Google offered me the following menu of headlines, in exactly this order:


Blaze Destroys Apartments in Far East Dallas
Police Find Explosives in Chicago Apartment
Fire Destroys NJ Apartment Building
Dozens Displaced After Two Apartment Complex Buildings Burn in Starkville
Fire Guts Apartment in White Plains
Newhallville Apartment Blaze Was Arson?
Suspected Robber Shot and Killed at East Armour Apartment Building
Asheville Police Investigating Shooting at Apartment Complex
Bug Bomb Explodes in Apartment Complex [!]


Bug bomb, eh? I had to look at that, even though it was a Fox News story. Dateline Los Angeles: "An explosion from a bug bomb gone bad damaged some apartments in a four-story building on Sunday but no injuries were reported from the mishap." Helpfully, a video attached to the story explained that a moron (my term) set off a number of bug bombs simultaneously in a room that also contained lighted candles. "No injuries" was incorrect, if the video is to be believed, since it shows the fellow with minor lacerations to his head, the result of flying debris.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home