Thursday, May 13, 2010

Listen to the Rhythm of the Falling Rain

I was dreaming last night, I think, when flash BOOM! A fury of wild electrons cascaded down from the sky somewhere near my roof. More to the point, somewhere near my ears. The thunderclap woke me instantly, but seemingly no one else. Later I found out that it woke Lilly too, but she didn't stir from her room in any way that I could hear.


Luckily the wild electrons didn't inspire our domesticated electrons into rebellion against the status quo that has them doing a lot of useful work around the house for us, not even for a few seconds. Nearby trees didn't seem to be bothered by the bolt, either. A clock told me it was about 3:30 a.m.


I cracked open a window -- just a little, since the air still had a chill to it -- so I could listen to the rhythm of the falling rain. It wasn't telling me just what a fool I've been. If it had, I would have told it to mind its own business (bringing May flowers, etc.). At times like that I listen closely at the composite sounds of water falling in small packets, not only the background whoosh, but also the drips and splats and gurgles. Few audio experiences can compare.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home