Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Stop and Smell the Betty Whites

A part of Cantigny is given over the roses. I don't think I've seen a finer rose garden since visiting the one that occupies a slice of Nakanoshima Park in Osaka, but then again I don't seek out rose gardens with any energy. But when I find one, I go look around. And smell around. "Stop and smell the roses" becomes literal activity at a time like this. A lot people were doing the same during our visit.



According to Cantigny, the 12,000-square-foot rose garden is home to more than 1,200 roses representing more than 55 varieties in 16 different classifications. That sounds like a lot to me -- a wide variety of grandifloras, floribundas, hybrid teas, minis and shrub roses. These had a sweet, pungent smell:



The sign told me they were specimens of the hybrid tea rose "Betty White." Looks like everyone likes Betty White, even rose horticulturists. Nearby roses were named for Julia Child and Queen Elizabeth.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home