Sunday, December 05, 2010

Item From the Past: Springsteen '84

The main thing I remember about seeing Bruce Springsteen in December 1984 in Murfreesboro, Tenn., was driving home to Nashville well after midnight that night. Staying awake was a dangerously intense struggle. My girlfriend at the time, who had gone with me, never knew that -- she was already asleep in the passenger's seat.



It was Sunday night concert, and at one point Springsteen said, "I know a lot of you have to work tomorrow. But you can call in and tell them that the Boss gave you the day off." If only. My struggle to stay awake at my desk the next day was nearly as difficult as the night before.


I also seem to remember that he didn't do much from Nebraska, though there might have been a few arrangements by the entire band that didn't come off quite as dark as the album versions. Then again, the lyrics of "Born in the USA" are fairly dark, though that can get lost in generally uptempo nature of the music.


That was the last time I went to one of his shows, though if I'd realized what he was up to in 2006, singing from the Pete Seeger songbook, I might have gone to his Chicago show that year (provided it didn't cost a few hundred dollars). But at least there's this on YouTube, for now: Bruce Springsteen & The Seeger Sessions Band, June 23, 2006, on Late Night With Conan O'Brien. What a joyful jam.



Link for Facebook.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home