Sunday, October 30, 2011

Item From the Past: Lilly's First Jack o' Lantern

We got around to creating a jack o' lantern this evening. Ann drew a design on the pumpkin, then I carved the top off. I insisted that she remove most of the pumpkin seeds and slimy orange entrails. I'm tired of that task, and I also wanted a visceral Halloween memory for her. Then I cut some more holes.


I would put it outside tonight with a candle, but it's an intensely windy and wet night out there, so it can go out on Halloween itself.



Lilly said that she wanted to help with this year's carving, but when the time came, she didn't bother. When Lilly was just a few weeks short of her first birthday in 1998, I took a picture of her examining a curious orange orb.


Later, I put the jack o' lantern on our front porch.



Later still, squirrels -- or very small minions of Beelzebub -- feasted on it, making it more frightful.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home