Sunday, October 09, 2011

Rollover Test Dummies in Action

This is National Fire Prevention Week, per presidential proclamation, as the week including October 9 has been since the Coolidge administration, though President Wilson inked a National Fire Prevention Day proclamation in 1920. But fire's serious business, so it soon got a whole week.


Driving by a local fire station recently, I spotted "Open House" on its marquis. The hours indicated right then. I had to see that, so I turned around. Ann was the only other person with me at that moment, and she whined about the prospect of not getting home for a while, but eventually she decided to humor her dad. Later, she admitted that she'd had a great time.


"Don't say I told you so," she said. So I didn't. But I'd known she would like it, and I had told her so.


State and local police were participating in the open house too. Before the fire department did its demonstration, more about which later, we saw this device in action.


It resembles a state police truck and simulates rollover accidents. The passenger cabin rotates, as if on a spit. Dummy passengers without seatbelts spill out and suffer gross bodily harm or death. Dummies with belts stay put.




It's a fine demonstration that only dummies don't wear seatbelts.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home