Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Sick Day

Not a good Tuesday. Still cold, work is piling up as it always does ahead of a vacation, and Lilly has taken sick—some fever, a headache, coughing and no appetite. Fortunately, she doesn’t get sick all that often. Her latest report card documented that fact. Only half a day absent from the first two semesters of the school year; that was the day last fall she threw up around lunchtime, I think, and was sent home.


Then again, there was the day during the Christmas holidays that she acquired a virus that upset her stomach, the details of which I won’t relate here. Still, she’s mostly a healthy kid, and at least she didn’t come down with this during spring break. On the other hand, there’s still time for Ann to get it, and a two-year-old reacts differently to a condition like this than a seven-year-old, in a way that would make everyone else just as miserable as she is.


So Lilly spent the day parked in front of the TV. I remember my own sick days like that. Lilly, however, will not be able to work her way through a daytime schedule of game shows, as I did. If I remember right, there was almost always one or another on opposite the soap operas, which I didn’t want to watch.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the most memorable movie experiences I had was during the only day I missed in law school (or college, for that matter) because of illness. I had a viral infection of some sort and was running a high fever. I got tired of lying in bed and came out to the living room and lay on the couch. The Million Dollar Movie was running Flying Down To Rio with Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers. I don't remember most of the movie anymore - it was the usual romantic comedy folderol with lots of singing and dancing - but the scene with the wing-walking tap dancers, as viewed through a fever, produced an intense, surreal visual experience. That scene is still fresh and clear in memory, after nearly thirty years. ANK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home