Monday, March 07, 2005

Pinky and Sam Walton’s Brain

Odds are, I won’t post tomorrow or Wednesday. My attention will be elsewhere. But I’ll be back.


Next: Remember the Alamo. I would have written that yesterday, but yesterday was an amazingly warm day, and a Sunday to boot, so I wasn’t worth a lick of finger-to-keyboard effort all day. No reason to be, either. It was nearly 60 degrees F. and sunny. Even after sundown, it must have been a tolerable 50 for a few hours.


A warm Sunday in March near Chicago is as rare as, say, a funny Boondocks. I tried to link it, but ucomics was being non-responsive. Look for Sunday’s strip. Its centerpiece has a spot-on drawing of Pinky and the Brain, dressed as Wal-Mart employees.

“What are we gonna do today, now that we work for Wal-Mart, Brain?”

“Same thing we do every day, Pinky. Try to take over the world.”


It helps, of course, to know about Pinky and the Brain, which I do because it was popular when my nephews were growing up, and I’d see it when visiting my brother. (Later, I acquired a few tapes myself, or rented them.)


Saturday night wasn’t particularly warm, but we went out anyway to the Spring Valley Nature Reserve at about 9 pm to look through an amateur astronomer’s telescope. One such astronomer is out there almost every month on a Saturday, attracting maybe ten or 12 people to look through his eyepiece. Lilly and I went last summer (see July 12, 2004). This time we all went, and everyone except Ann saw Saturn. Nice resolution: a marble of light, distinct rings, and a handful of moons.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home