Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Breakfast at Lou's

Sharp drop in temps in the span of a few hours—between breakfast and lunch this morning, it must have dropped 20 or 25 degrees. Blame Canada! I was downtown for this weather event, meeting with people in my profession, gathering information and probably another writing assignment, which is good.


Had breakfast with someone I’ve known over 15 years, who recently returned to the Chicago area after living in the Twin Cities for a good many years. He was hired at a certain company in Chicago just before I was in the late 1980s; I quit there in 1990 to go to Japan and he later, to go up north; but that company later bought the company he was working for in Minneapolis; and in the meantime I edited a magazine for a different company, quitting that in 2000, shortly before the company we worked for in the ’80s bought that magazine, so I just missed returning to work for them then. Now, he’s a publisher there and I’m probably going to get some contract writing there, after being disassociated with them for 15 years. And that’s the simplified version of the chain of events that brought us to the breakfast table.


Which was at Lou Mitchell’s, a West Loop restaurant institution. A joint that serves breakfast and lunch, but is known for its breakfasts, as I had: eggs, bacon, “Greek” toast (amazing thick bread), and so-so potato cubes, but they are the exception. Pancakes and other breads are also specialties. Atkins isn’t allowed in this place.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home