Sunday, June 19, 2005

Item from the Past: Fan Letter

I can’t remember what inspired me to write the following letter, since the number of fan letters I’ve written could be counted on one hand, probably. But since I save many things, I’m able to post it here.


L. Sprague de Camp
3453 Hearst Castle Way
Plano, TX 75025

June 26, 1996

Dear Mr. de Camp,

I hope this letter finds you well. As a lad some 20-odd years ago, I read your book Lest Darkness Fall, and had fond memories of it. A few months ago I happened on a copy and re-read it with considerable enjoyment.


I’m merely writing to say that I believe that you wrote quite a remarkable book—one that not only appealed to me at two different points in my life, but that has also help up for nearly sixty years. It's a good yarn indeed.


My brother gave me your address. He has read a number of your books, copies of which I believe our late father had read. Our father also probably read much of your work in the pulps, back when it was new.


Regards,

Dees Stribling


Soon after, I got a postal card from L. Sprague de Camp, on which he had typed the following:


5 Jul 96

Dear Ms. [sic, I’m used to it] Stribling:

Thanks for your kind letter of June 26th. I am still writing and being published, albeit more slowly because of the debilities of age (I shall be 90 in 13 months). My autobiography, TIME AND CHANCE, is due out shortly from Donald Grant, Publisher, and a venture into paleoanthropology, THE APE-MAN WITHIN, is now out from Prometheus Books. I hope you get something out of them.

Regards,

(signed) L. Sprague de Camp


He died on Nov. 6, 2000. A number of his books are still in print.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home