Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Cars on a Stick

Today I found a cache of notes that I made over the last few weeks — they’d gone missing for a while, as things often do in my home office, or in my home, period. So I’m going to write about a few things that I’ve skipped recently.


When I visited Forest Lawn Cemetery on September 1 to see the Showmen’s Rest, I noticed on my map that I would also be very near the Cermak Plaza Shopping Center in Berwyn. Then it occurred to me that I could also see “Spindle,” because it’s in the middle of Cermak Plaza’s parking lot, there for all to see.


So after paying my respects to the deceased showmen, I drove over to Cermak Plaza. In every other way, the place completely ordinary. It has a Circuit City Office Depot, Lens Crafters, Dollar Shop, Shoe Carnival — a cross-section of lower-middle to middle retailing, a lineup of the usual suspects. Actually, the shopping center is cut below most, at least in terms of looks. Not a cent has been spent on landscaping, for instance. The parking lot covers the entire space between the shops and the lot line next to busy Cermak Road — a bleak lake of blacktop.


But none of that matters up close to “Spindle.” Essentially, it’s eight cars skewered on top of each other on a sturdy-looking, 40-foot spike; 1970s vintage autos by the look of them. Probably junkers by the time that artist Dustin Shuler erected this work in 1989. A red VW bug is on top, poised like a cherry. One car that I could see still had an Illinois vanity plate: MARS 1. Wire mesh wraps around the bottoms of all the cars, to prevent heavy metal pieces from crumbling off, I suppose. Pigeons are obviously fond of this unusual work.


When we were returning from Yellowstone last month, I briefly toyed with the idea of driving by Carhenge in Box Butte County, Nebraska. We didn’t do that, but at least I’ve now seen our local car sculpture.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 9:44 PM, Blogger Videos by Professor Howdy said...


You have a riveting web log
and undoubtedly must have
atypical & quiescent potential
for your intended readership.
May I suggest that you do
everything in your power to
honor your Designer/Architect
as well as your audience.

Please remember to never
restrict anyone's opportunities
for ascertaining uninterrupted
existence for their quintessence.

Best wishes for continued ascendancy,
Dr. Howdy

'Thought & Humor'

P.S. I liked Yellowstone...

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Uninterrupted existence for their quintessence" gets 450 hits on Google. "Designer/Architect" Hmm. Could it be Deist spam?

Ok, then, all I have to say is "the Essence of the All is the Godhead of the True"

ANK

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our local car sculpture is no more. It was located in a lower-middle shopping strip in Hamden, CT. Its very vocal detractors got rid of it a couple of years ago. Oh well, a few more parking spots, a little less art. MT

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Dees Stribling said...

I doubt that anyone around Berwyn is bothered by "Spindle." But someday it'll probably become unstable, and even Berwyn--not a model of municipal efficiency--will feel obliged to take it down. I figure no one will pony up any money to renovate it.

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The Vision of Visions heals the blindness of sight."

ANK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home