Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Joyeux Noël

(I've long been partial to the French greeting, without any particular interest in how the holiday is celebrated in France. Go figure.)


No blogging till Boxing Day at least. A Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good week.


Another winter solstice has come, and the weather page of the Tribune (among others, probably) claimed that winter started today. Today, after about three weeks of subfreezing temps, snow and bitter winds. This business of claiming the seasons start and end with the solstices and equinoxes has long puzzled me.


Last year just after Christmas, I wrote the following on the older version of this site, but I’m going to publish it again this year, since it fairly much characterizes what I think of the holiday. Besides, the weekly archive that included the original posting did not, for unknown reasons, ever publish. (Not that anyone ever visits the archives, anyway). So, without further ado:


Here’s a novel thought: I like Christmas. In some quarters, you’d be marked as slightly childish or hopelessly sentimental for expressing such a thing openly, but here I am publishing it to anyone who cares to read it. Moreover, I am an adult, and not an overly sentimental one either. I happen to think it’s fully possible to enjoy Christmas without being a child, or accepting a lot of the nonsense that goes with the season (and what human activity doesn’t come with a measure of nonsense in its train, or sometimes in the driver’s seat?).


Part of it is that I like all holidays, and if I had the power to create more, I would. And longer ones: the de facto downtime between December 25 and January 1 ought to be openly acknowledged as a national week off.


More than that, Christmas is special. It's a full-blown modern cultural experience with pagan taproots, Christian meaning, and secular frenzy. It obliges you to give presents, strictly as a matter of custom--and custom should have some authority. It has songs, some deeply moving, some ridiculous. It has lights and ornaments of endless variety. It’s deeply encrusted with lore, offering a wide cast of such instantly recognizable characters as baby Jesus, Santa Claus, and Ebenezer Scrooge, just to name a few major ones. It’s the backdrop of countless stories, books, stage plays, pantomimes, and movies, from
It's a Wonderful Life to Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. It’s a family holiday whether you like your family or not (a touch of social obligation again). It's a fusion of tradition and the distinctly new. You had it as a child, your children have it, and their children are going to have it.


Some effort is involved in Christmas, but so what? This year, for example, I put up outdoor lights and a decorated indoor tree, sent a number of cards (plus e-mails), obtained and wrapped some presents, took my family to Christmas Eve services at St. Nicholas, and did some of the food preparation—by which I mean breakfast on Christmas morning, not making elaborate special confections or a break-the-table feast, which we did without.


All that comes on top of assorted everyday living and its tasks. Still, Christmas wasn’t a burden this year, and never has been. Of course, people invariably complain that’s it involves too much to do. I suspect that it’s the perfectionists of the world complaining the loudest about Christmas, as they do about everything else. It has to be perfect, or it won’t be Christmas!


That’s an extreme characterization, but it seems to fit a lot of people. To
that I can say, Bah, humbug.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Christmas too. And I am proud to say that I have never worked hard (or much at all) during the week between Christmas and New Years, so it is essentially a holiday week for me each year. I can't understand people who treat it as a regular week -- it's magical in some way, and should be enjoyed. MT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home