Thursday, March 15, 2007

MeTube

YouTube ought to be YouToo, as in you too can waste your time with it. I'm not interesting in posting on it -- I do enough of that here -- but still, it suits my eclectic, sometimes eccentric tastes. Below are more links than usual, ways to waste time this weekend. But I can't promise they'll be around for long. Such is the nature of the site.

I had a science teacher in junior high who once, when a class troublemaker asked to go to get a drink of water, mocked him by singing a few lines of "Cool Water." I had no idea where that came from, but it did stick with me. Now I know: see the Sons of the Pioneers, "Cool Water."

Back in the mid- to late '80s, I acquired perhaps a dozen LPs by Pete Seeger. But I never heard this song or saw this cartoon before. Charming.

Years ago one of my college pals, Dan Monroe, introduced me to the music -- and just as much, the persona -- of Tom Waits. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else on stage with a megaphone and a microphone, as in "Chocolate Jesus."

I probably could have seen Johnny Cash live at some point, if I'd wanted to, back when I lived in Nashville. I'm sorry I didn't. This is him with the Carter sisters on "Wabash Cannonball. Listen to the rumble, listen to the roar.

Who knows how long this will be up. Or this. Couldn't find the intro to Tom Slick, however.

Recently I've been acquainting myself with the first season of the new Battlestar Galactica on DVD. If you've seen it, and are familiar with the original as well, this will be amusing.

And, while I'm in the SF mode, this is The Invaders intro, as well as the Astro Boy intro in Japanese. Yuriko got a nostalgic kick out that.





Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger nylonthread said...

Your distant cousin, Akio, is a HUGE fan of Tom Waits! He owns all of his recordings, and DVDs of his live performances. We also own "Once From the Heart", a debacle of a movie, in which he and Crystal Gayle performed the entire soundtrack. Akio has made two roadtrips to the midwest (Chicago in 2000 and Cleveland in 2006) without me to see Mr. Waits perform live. He is NOT a roadtrip guy, so that was quite a sacrifice for art.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home