Monday, March 05, 2007

Physics on Ice

This morning a pack of lads -- two lads and a lass, really -- came from across the street to the sidewalk in front of my house en route to school. Kids in the lower grades; Lilly knows them, and sometimes walks with them, but she'd gone ahead this time. The kids were dressed for winter, of course, since it's still well below freezing in the mornings.


They ran across the street, though taking the time to look for cars (that's something, anyway). But when they got our driveway and sidewalk, they kept running and boom! one of them goes down on his butt. I expect to see weeping, or at least childish consternation if he's already learned that boys don't cry, but no. Up he leaps, thrusting his arms in the air like he's scored a touchdown. And off they go, all amused by it.


Compare that to my experience on the ice the night before, taking out the trash cans to the curb. Slowly, slowly, slowly, I crept along, knowing the my footing could be taken away at any step. I nearly did fall a couple of time: oops! then relief that I didn't quite lose my balance.


Ah, the innocence of youth. Actually, the low body mass in that kid's case, and his short potential fall to the sidewalk. My mass is a lot higher, and the fall somewhat further, so physics isn't on my side.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home