Monday, November 24, 2008

Calling Bloody Mary

Been a Decemberish November these last few weeks, after an Indian summer early in the month. This morning a dusting of snow was on the ground, but it didn't last through the daylight hours. We're all expecting hardier white stuff before long.


Some of Lilly's friends came over after school today, and they read about Bloody Mary in the Daring Book for Girls, and about how daring girls could summon her spectre. It got Lilly and her friends all knotted up with dread just thinking about it. I knew that was a good book to buy her.


I'd never heard of the business about chanting Bloody Mary's name in front of a mirror before. But I had my own supernatural dread at about that age. I had to think back, but I did -- mostly from reading paperback books we had around the house that purported to be true stories of supernatural occurrences.


Back to posting after Thanksgiving, around December 1. Regards to all for the holiday.

2 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Little girls in central Illinois in the 60's certainly knew that game. I was too afraid to play...and after some Ouija experiences later in life, still wouldn't, lol
cs

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I first heard of Bloody Mary when I was about 8 or 9, which would have been roughly concurrent with the release of the movie "Candyman", wherein one summons the titular character in much the same fashion (saying his name 5 times while looking at a mirror).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home