Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Magoo's Tea Party

I had my own tea party today. I boiled water, poured it over a low-cost tea bag, and drank the results a few minutes later. Actually, I do that most days, so "party" in the literal or figurative sense doesn't really apply.


Speaking of which, Lilly's social studies (that is, history) text mentions the Edenton Tea Party in the same paragraph as the more famed affair in Boston, which says more about the difference between text books of my school days and those kicking around today than about political protest in the Thirteen Colonies. I only have scant knowledge of the Edenton incident, but it sounds like a straightforward boycott, rather than the exciting direct action taken by the Bostonians.


Including Mr. Magoo. I puzzled about it briefly today, but I was fairly sure that Mr. Magoo helped dump tea into Boston Harbor, at least according to a cartoon I once saw. Or did I? Forty years is a long time to hold on to the details of sometime you might have seen only once. But I needed to look no further than that library on my desk to find out. Sure enough, Magoo "played" Paul Revere in the cartoon (a near-blind silversmith?), participating in the Tea Party, dressed as an Indian. Somehow, I'm glad I remember that.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In another episode in the same series, Mr. Magoo appeared as William Tell. ANK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home