Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Buffy Tuesday

Maybe it's only that mid-winter quest for diversion, but for some reason I've chanced across all sorts odd web sites lately. Or at least sites whose existence is interesting, if not necessarily their content.


"Watcher Junior," for instance, which is subtitled "The Undergraduate Journal of Buffy Studies." I don't really need to read undergraduate papers with titles such as "Dawn as Ophelia: The Conflicting Femininities of Buffy the Vampire Slayer or "The Case for Faith: The Rogue Vampire Slayer's Search for Identity," but somehow I'm glad they're out there.


Soon I sent my old friend Kevin Deany, movie blogger extraordinaire, an e-mail about of the site, because he's told me of the wonders of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on a number of occasions. Someday I will watch some of that show, on the strength of his recommendation alone.


Dees (to Kevin): We never had anything like this in college. Just the T.J. Hooker Viewing Society, of which I was not a member.

Kevin: Wow. It’s almost like a parody, isn’t it?

Dees: It is, but I didn't see any obvious tells. Then again, a certain slice of academia is a lot like parody.

Kevin: I’m awaiting word on serious academic studies of Chucky the Killer Doll movies.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Blogger nylonthread said...

Dees, my daughter likes Buffy (especially the musical episode, "Once More with Feeling" from season 6 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0533466/ ) for the same reason she loves Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: powerful female characters, kicking everyone's butt. Your girls would probably like it, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home