Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Ducks in the Library

When in doubt, take a picture of a sunset. This is the view from our deck as the Sun went down on the first day of meteorological spring. Today, that is.



Heard the usual blather on the radio today about the upcoming equinox. Something about spring starting then, but I'm not persuaded. It's usually still fairly chilly around here around the vernal equinox.


This made my day: The Schaumburg Township Library seems to have the entire Carl Barks Library of Donald Duck Adventures in Color, which are large-format comic books (ahem, graphic novels). Ann was not far away looking for things to read and I happened to notice one of the series that hadn't been reshelved yet. The publisher was Gladstone -- that name can't be a coincidence -- of Prescott, Ariz.


Gladstone republished a lot of Barks and other Disney comic authors in the late '80s and '90s. I remember seeing some of them then, but wasn't in the market. I'd read most of the stories years earlier anyway, and didn't want to pay just to have a collection of them.


But now there are small(ish) people in the house who have never read them, so I checked out No. 1 of the series, which features an early Barks comic book effort (with another Disney animator, Jack Hanna) called "Donald Duck Finds Pirate Gold," which I don't think I've read. But I'm going to have to wait until Ann is done with it -- she took an immediate interest.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home