Sunday, March 20, 2005

Rudimentary Conversations

Slim postings for a time, since spring break is nearly here. This concept meant little to me in the years after I finished college and before my oldest child started elementary school, which is to say, now. It has renewed importance, and probably will for years to come.


Conversations are the most ordinary things. But it gives you pause when you realize a two-year-old has the rudiments down. I stopped this afternoon to go to a drug store, leaving the rest of the family in the car as I went in. As I opened the door, Ann said, "Where are you going?" (Not quite clearly, but intelligibly). "I'll be back," I said, not expecting an answer. "OK," she said, as if she'd been having conversations all her life.


Not a cute moment. Nothing cute at all about it. But it's good to see ordinary moments emerging from a toddler.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home