Sunday, May 15, 2005

Item from the Past: Hopestill Barns

Some notes I took after my first visit to Boston on May 10, 1982. Later, I spent a lot more time there, but I still remember this first walkabout pretty well, and especially making the acquaintance of Hopestill Barns, who is a permanent resident of the city. Purcell’s, as far as I could tell later, vanished sometime after my first visit.


Spent most of the day in downtown Boston, a place where pedestrians cross whenever and wherever they want. Today was moderately cool and slightly rainy, a persistent drizzle, but it didn’t interrupt my walking.


Downtown: little shops, old graveyards, big shops, cast iron, brick streets—delightful for walking. I found a place to have lunch, a thoroughly good meal, Purcell’s, a cafeteria in an alley next to the courthouse. Remarkable meatloaf & potatoes & veggies & milk, for $3.50


I hung around King’s Chapel graveyard a time, reading the names on the old and weatherbeaten tombstones. Meanwhile, the good people of Boston wandered by. They’re used to the stones. For quite a while, I was the only living soul in the whole cemetery. On a stone the size of a spiral notebook, I found this [all caps, bullet points between all the words, including the inconsistent 17th-century spelling, or maybe I wrote it down wrong]:


HOPESTILL • BARNS •
THE • WIFE • OF • IAMES
BARNES • AGED • 24 YEARS
DECEASED • THE • 19 • OF
AVGVST 1676


There are more famous people buried there, such as John Winthrop, but I was struck by Hopestill for some reason. Death at 24 impresses me even more now than it did when I was younger than that. Taken away by a disease no one in Boston dies from any more? Died in childbirth, a common fate almost too horrible to think about? The tombstone makes no comment. If I ever return to downtown Boston, I’ll try to drop by again.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dees,
You must know they did this tombstone in Roman script--that is a U is chiseled as a V and a J is chiseled as an I. I was reminded of this as I looked at the Mary and Joseph altars at my small hometown church in Halder, Wis. There is a fancy M at the Mary altar off on the side and an I at the Ioseph altar on the other side. Romans didn't have a J in their alphabet
Pete M

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Dees Stribling said...

That's right, the Romans didn't use consistently different letters for the sounds we write "i" and "j" and "u" and "v." Those distinctions are comparatively modern. But also note that often even in modern times, when the writing is highly formal (like cut in stone), "i" is used for "j" and "v" for "u."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home