Thursday, June 23, 2005

More Eminent

Hot indeed. The meteorologists were right, mid-90s or thereabouts today. Complete contrast to last summer, a wimpy excuse for a season, that was. I’m sure it never reached 90° F the entire season last year.


Of course I did the rational thing anyone who grew up in subtropical South Texas would do. I stayed home most of the day. I filed a story yesterday, so this opened up the possibility of slacking off, which I pursued as much as possible, considering the presence of wee children.


I actually know a little about the Kelo case that the Supreme Court just decided. Decided wrongly, in my opinion.The last editorial I wrote for Real Estate Media concerned Kelo, from which I quote:

“The question posed by that kind of eminent domain is this: who’s serving whom? It’s as if property owners exist -- live and do business -- so that government agencies can reap tax revenues. If those owners don’t produce enough, the government can toss them out in favor of someone who can generate a better tax base. In other words, the citizens serve the state -- or else. Doesn’t that seem backwards?”


But what do you do when you think the Supreme Court is wrong? Slap your forehead. And not even literally, just figuratively. That’s about it.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For your information, here's Kelo et al. vs. City of New London, et al. http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=000&invol=04-108#opinion1 - scroll down for Justice Thomas' dissent -
and here's Prof. Bainbridge's take, from Tech Central: http://techcentralstation.com/062305C.html which reflects my view. Aleksei

 

Post a Comment

<< Home