Saturday, April 01, 2006

Friday Jinx

Two weeks in a row now that something has happened on a Friday to keep me from posting. Last week, I was sick. Yesterday, we had a Pepsi Syndrome incident with the keyboard. At least it happened after I filed the material I needed to file that day, but it’s still irritating to have to go shopping for another keyboard.


The old one, a loyal companion of my iMac since day one many days ago, may still revive after it dries out. Or not. I can’t afford to be without full computer capacity beginning on Monday, so I went off to Golf Road this morning. Golf Road is the major retail thoroughfare in Schaumburg, Retail Capital of the Free World, and I vaguely remembered a large computer retailer in a big box somewhere along the way, though since I hate driving on that road under most circumstances, I couldn’t remember where it was or what kind. ("Big box" is the term in commercial real estate that refers to a really big retailer, a term that makes me smile still.)


My guess was right, and before long I had a “Keyboard in a Box” – that was the brand. It was indeed a keyboard, and in came in a box, which promised to be a friend to my Mac and all Macs. Better than that, it promised to be plug-and-play. When it comes to computers, that’s the ticket. Sure enough, when I got home, I plugged it in, and it started working right away. Call me simple, but I always suspect there will be some missing step in using computer technology that will frustrate me for hours, no matter how ostensibly easy the task. A missing step that isn’t in comprehensible language anywhere in the instructions.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home