Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Make Mine B-Positive, Please

A Laurel-and-Hardy pair of Jehovah’s Witnesses came to the door today, an angular brown woman of some height, possibly of East Indian descent, and a shorter and more rotund Caucasian woman. I told them I was working and didn’t really have time to chat, which was true. So they left issues of Watchtower and Awake! and went about their business on the block.


True, I had no time for them, but still it was good to see sectarians show up at the door. Makes me feel like I’m still part of the global village, or something. I can’t remember the last time that happened, and I’m fairly sure that we haven’t had any young Morman missionaries ring the doorbell since we moved here three years ago. I can’t believe the Latter-Day Saints have given up on us, so maybe I just wasn’t home that day.


I can think of a number of reasons not to sign up with the Witnesses, and not just their feelings about blood banks. One jumped out at me while I was glancing at Awake! The magazine asks, rhetorically, Is Evolution Fact or Fiction? You know their answer. We ain’t cousins to no stinkin’ monkeys (I’m paraphrasing a little). What is it about Darwin and his successors that gets under their skin so much? Why doesn’t the theory of quantum mechanics seem to bother them, just to name another triumph of our God-given intelligence?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home