Monday, December 18, 2006

Tireless Mort

It’s the holiday season, but that tireless worker Death takes no holidays, vacations, days off, personal days, mental health days, long lunches, or even coffee breaks. Well, maybe a cigarette break or two. I can picture Death out in the alley lighting up.


First, death at some distance. I did not know Richard Carlson, author of self-help books. I didn’t buy or read any of his books – not my genre. I’d seen some of the titles at bookstores. Nevertheless, I read his obituary with some interest, for one reason. He was 45.


I do not like to hear about such a passing, no indeed. It seems that he boarded a flight to New York without realizing that his destination was actually the Great Beyond, a victim of mid-flight cardiac arrest. That is, his heart just stopped. Further investigation revealed that he was about three weeks older than I am. By coincidence (I’m sure) born on the same day as a girl I knew in high school.


Next, death closer to home. A letter came in the mail recently. It started, “It is with great sadness and heavy hearts that we inform you that Dr. Marvin Goldman passed away, suddenly, December 1, 2006…” Dr. Goldman was Lilly and Ann’s pediatrician, actually one of two in a practice. I didn’t know him well, but considered him a good doctor. He was older than 45, but still not that old – no more than 60 would be my guess. RIP, Dr. Goldman.

1 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Chicago Tribune obituary page says that Dr. Goldman was 64 years old. Scrolling up the page a bit I found that his father, Gilbert Goldman, 94, only died a couple of months ago. (The date isn't given, but the obituary was published October 12, 2006.) Not close enough together to ask for a group rate. ANK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home