Thursday, February 22, 2007

Al vs. Bing

Lilly seems to have bronchitis. Had to go get her from school at about 11 today, and since then she's mostly been doing what you do when nursing a virus: laying around watching TV. Something in the cathode rays treats the condition. Rays that display game shows, when I was young. For her, cartoons.


With the change to Volume 3, however minor a thing that might be, I'm also formalizing my schedule. No posting on Friday and Saturdays, the true weekend days. But I won't sign off for the weekends without suggesting a link of some kind.


This is "Pistol Packin' Mama" (and "Rosalita") by Al Dexter. I heard it on the radio for exactly the second time last weekend, the first time being a few years ago, so I looked around for it when I got home. And there it was on YouTube. According to the DJ on the extraordinary station WDCB, "Mama" was on Your Hit Parade in 1943, which I was glad to hear. When I heard it the first time, I knew I liked it better than Bing Crosby's version. That must make me some kind of music snob.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home