Sunday, February 11, 2007

Beer Caves

I was doing some research recently for a story retail real estate article I'm working on -- really, retail is the most interesting of the main food groups in real estate writing -- and came across this description of a certain convenience store chain: "[The stores] are state-of-the-art convenience stores that feature items such as made-to-order sandwiches hot off the grill, touch-screen terminals at gas islands that allow customers to order food while fueling, expanded premium coffee choices, and a walk-in beer cave."


A couple of intriguing things there. Touch-screen ordering of food isn't bad, but I'm waiting for the day when the gas pumps will take spoken commands, so that on a cold day as I pump gas, I can bark, "Tea! Earl Grey! Hot!" and have a cup waiting for me at the replicator inside. Actually, if things were that advanced, why would I need to pump gas manually?


Walk-in beer cave was clearly another concept that needed googling, since it evokes a picture of a chilly Aladdin's cave bedecked not with gold coin and jewels, but imported and domestic bottles and cans. So I looked into it. The reality is more utilitarian, but no less interesting. According to National Petroleum News, " 'They’re catching on like wildfire. All major c-stores are adding beer caves to new locations or adding during remodels,' said Bill Hart, vice president of operations for Quincy, Ill.-based U.S. Cooler. 'The number is growing because of the margins on beer sales. Operators can carry larger amounts of beer in inventory and it sells quicker because it is kept colder.'


"Hart said the beer cave trend took hold about eight to 10 years ago but wasn’t popular at first because customers weren’t used to the concept, but that’s no longer a problem. 'Customers like that they can walk inside the cooler, feel the cold air and get cold beer.' ”

1 Comments:

At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can recall visiting a refrigerated room full of beer - a beer cave - at a grocery store near your house a few years ago. I can't recall the name of the place; it didn't belong to a chain I was familiar with. I haven't seen anything like it in Texas, but pehaps I'm not patronizing the right establishments. ANK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home