Sunday, March 18, 2007

Way Down South

Not much time for writing today, but I will post an image, the very first at this site, and one I just received from Ed, who's lately been to Antarctica, South Georgia, the Falklands, the Oriental Republic of Uruguay (look it up) and other extreme points south. If I had 10 grand and a few weeks to spare, it is a trip I would need no urging to take. Best of all for him, someone else paid for his trip - he is, of course, part of that rare tribe, the professional travel writer.



Ed didn't say, but I assume this is Antarctica. He's interacting with the natives. Also, I received a postcard recently from him with a British Antarctic Territory stamp on it. Wow.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:32 PM, Blogger Geofhuth said...

Dees,

We certainly should've become professional travel writers like Ed. Where did we go wrong?

Geof

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that is actually on the Antarctic mainland. I had handed a friend (travel writer Reid Bramblett--anyone going to Europe should check his site reidsguides.com, and if enough of you do it, I will force a kickback out of him) my camera and sat down for the obligatory "me in Antarctica" shot when the penguin wandered up and began to gently peck at my fingers.

And everybody should be a professional travel writer. Of course, my average income for my first dozen years or so of it was slightly under $4,500, but once you get past that . . .

e

 

Post a Comment

<< Home