Thursday, May 01, 2008

Loyalty Day in Louisiana?

The rest of the this week and next will be well occupied for me by things to do, so I will return to posting around May 11. Many things will be seen between now and then as well, with any luck.


"Loyalty Day," formerly known as "Americanization Day," has passed without much to-do here in the United States. Rather than go along with a commie International Workers Day on May 1, these other labels have been floated across the decades in this country, to resounding apathy. Which is as it should be. "Loyalty" Day? Sounds like an occasion for totalitarian states. Then again, every day is loyalty day in, say, North Korea. Or else.


Speaking of infamous totalitarian states, I was glad to find this the other day:



Lilly has some big fourth-grade-type report/project or other about one of the states to complete before she passes out of that grade. She picked Louisiana, and since then I've been regaling her with tales of gigging alligators on the bayou. Maybe not, but I could, if I made them up. But I have encouraged her to interview her grandmother about the visits she and Lilly's grandfather made to New Orleans back in time of Stanley Kowalski and Blanche DuBois. Katrina or no Katrina, that New Orleans is gone.


At 10, she's not particularly familiar with Louisiana lore. She said she picked that state because she likes the shape. That's my girl.

1 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Gigging" alligators. The first time through I read that as "giggling" alligators, which sounds like the sort of thing that might have appeared in a Hanna-Barbera cartoon. As to New Orleans, Lilly's grandfather didn't just visit. If you recall, he went to Medical School at Tulane (Class of '46). I don't know of any documentation but I've also heard that her great-grandfather, Wm. J. Stribling, took a trip downriver to New Orleans for Mardi Gras one year while he was in medical school in Memphis and spent the rest of the semester there. ANK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home