Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Tallest Thing in Toronto, Anyway

Unlike my walkabout in parts of Toronto this time around, the first time -- July 2, 1991 -- I actually took a camera along. On that day, I made it to one of the city's top tourist destinations, of course:



At about 1,815 feet, the CN Tower is frequently billed as the tallest something-or-other in the world, though since it doesn't feature habitable floors all the way up, it isn't a building along the lines of the Sears Tower or Taipei 101. Still, it's a fine structure and has a remarkable knack for being in the skyline from a lot of different angles. As I walked around town last week, and later rode our small green tech tour bus, I kept seeing the thing, regardless of where I found myself. There it is again.


I passed on the opportunity to ride up to the top again. It's a fine view, but twice isn't necessary. Also, I read that merely going up and looking around costs C$21.99. I don't remember what I paid in 1991, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't remotely that much, even adjusted for inflation. Just another case of a tourist attraction unconscionably jacking up its prices.


I revisited Chinatown, where I had lunch that summer day in the early '90s. I think this pic is on Spadina Ave., one of the main drags through the neighborhood.



I didn't note the Pearl Theatre this around, but wasn't looking for it anyway. The brown area at the left edge of the photo is a telephone pole covered with staples and torn bits of old posters. Finally, I have to wonder: what's that guy walking toward the camera up to now?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home