Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Vintage Vaughn

Rain nearly all day on Monday, and temps in the 50s. It was as if we'd fast-forwarded to October, even early November, except for the greenery. For some reason, Ann was taken with it, and went outside to stand on the deck under an umbrella several times. Sometimes I went out with her, at her request, which wasn't nearly as much fun for me.


Today I worked on an article about a mall that was built in the early 1960s, and which is being redeveloped in our time, and I wanted to write that the property is "as much a period piece as a Vaughn Meader record," but I restrained myself. Even if my editor got the reference -- and he might, come to think of it -- he'd cut it out. Rightly so, because the magazine's job is to inform, not show off knowledge of historical obscurities. That's what personal blogs are for.

1 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dees - I used to work with a guy (still a friend) who made references to Vaughn's record, but more frequently quoted Alan Sherman. He also liked to imitate Ed Sullivan introducing guests/acts such as Topo Gigio (sp?), an Italian mouse. He and I are about the same age, but his references all seem so ancient to me. I'm more into the Partridge Family. MT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home