Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Today, I Learned About Castle Grayskull

Mimi Smartypants is still worth reading: Speaking of bad-assery, Wikipedia recently taught me that Castle Grayskull was surrounded by a 'bottomless abyss,' she writes. I did not know that! What a great feature! LT and I would really like to remodel our condo building to look just like Castle Grayskull, just need to get the other owners' approval (we will wait for one of those drunken board meetings). Now that I know about the bottomless abyss I will definitely include it in the plans. Cancel the garbage pickup and the recycling service! We will just throw everything in the abyss! And it will never fill up, no matter how many old newspapers or takeout menus or door-to-door Mormons we toss in there.


I had to look up Castle Grayskull, since I was only vaguely aware of it as a feature in a cartoon I've never watched, and I couldn't remember which cartoon, though I suspected it had something to do with fantasy heroes, the eternal spat between good and evil, and such like.


I was right. The castle features prominently in He-Man and Masters of the Universe, a cartoon franchise after my time, beginning as it did in the early '80s. Internal evidence in her blog puts Mimi at about 10 years younger than I am, and thus in a better position to appreciate the merits of He-Man and Skeletor. Somewhere in this house, however, I do have one or two action figures from the series, or maybe some other iteration of the series, though I don't know where or when I got them (cereal box? McDonald's?), or where they are at this moment (maybe the garage, but it's too cold to check). Such is my cluttered life.


That's not the only thing that's cluttered. If you look at the Wiki entry for Skeletor -- which is roughly the same length as that of Isaac Newton, except with fewer footnotes -- there's an entire section of four paragraphs devoted to "The question of Skeletor's head." Plus some amusing links.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home