Monday, May 16, 2005

Unsuitable for Children

Getting warmer, slowly warmer. It’s nearly May-like and we still have half the month to go. Still, the heater kicks in at night. A comforting sound, but it’s time to switch over to that parallel whoosh of air-conditioning.


We have the DVD version SpongeBob SquarePants: The Movie for the time being, and I discovered today that it carries a PG rating, “for mild crude humor.” A PG rating warns us generally that “some parts may not be suitable for children.” If so, those parts are suitable for no one, since SBSP is entirely for children. Besides, “mild crude humor” seems about right for kids, so the parental guidance I’m providing is leaving the room when the movie’s on.


Thus I haven’t watched the whole thing myself, only parts. Parenting busybodies advise us to watch what your children watch, the better to… turn our brains into bouillabaisse, maybe. Funny how no one who seems worried about the ill effects of TV on impressible minds offers this advice: don’t get cable. But I’m not completely against cable. I just think it belongs in hotel rooms.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home