Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Movie in the Other Room

Odd that I wrote something about experiencing movies yesterday, because today I experienced one in an unusual way. I didn’t see much of it, but I did hear a lot of it, since it was played downstairs as I sat in my office just upstairs. The movie I’m talking about is Waterworld.


Yuriko picked up a VHS copy of the movie at the library without knowing much about it other than it’s a Kevin Kostner vehicle (which is more of a recommendation for her than me). She probably hadn’t been paying attention when it burst on the scene like a rotten gourd in 1995. Neither did I, actually, and to be fair, I didn’t know much more about it than its reputation as a bomb.


Well, why be fair when it comes to overrated actors and absurdly expensive entertainments? Bomb seems to be apt, since I heard a lot of explosions. And a lot of yelling, the kind people do in action movies with a lot of explosions. A handful of lines were clear, but my favorite was this: “Don’t just stand there, kill something!” I guess a bad guy said that one.


“Was it as bad as people say?” I asked Yuriko at the end. She laughed for quite a while. “It was like 12-year-olds made that movie,” she answered.

2 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Blogger botherate said...

I recall Uncle Jim taking me to see Waterworld in San Antonio when, incidentally, I was only 12 years old at the time, and I still have a fond spot in my heart for that movie. I don't believe it's quite as bad as people say, at least not if you don't take it seriously.

 
At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waterworld was a bomb mostly because the ego involved (read: Costner) insisted that all the water scenes take place in actual water, not a soundstage. AND Costner decided to start filming during monsoon season or something, so there were many, many days of paying huge amounts of crew hourly for just sitting around. Bomb=ridiculously expensive

 

Post a Comment

<< Home