Sunday, March 14, 2010

Manchurian Buckwheat Pi

Every time Pi Day rolls around, I forget to mention it until March 14 has already come and gone. Not this year. Time to post a few links about the world's favorite irrational number (though there must be e partisans; but it's too hard to conceptualize for mass appeal).


YouTube doesn't disappoint when you run "pi" through it, once you get past trailers for the movie of that name. That may be a fine movie for all I know, but it isn't "Pi Pi Mathematical Pi Song."


All I can say about this is, surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman.


By way of the blindingly erudite Mr. Kurp, a Polish poem about pi, reconfigured into English.


I was looking through one of my envelopes of personal debris recently for things to scan, and came across a ticket stub that fits mid-March.



Item from the past all right, but the trick of memory is that I don't remember seeing Buckwheat Zydeco at all, and the only bit of writing that I can find about doing so is an entry in my 1988 At-A-Glance desk calendar (of course I still have it). The entry uselessly says "Buckwheat Zydeco," but is on the correct date, at least.


So that show's down the memory hole, though I probably saw something like this. Another note in the calendar a few days later tells me that I saw The Manchurian Candidate for the first and only time 22 years ago, when it was revived at the Fine Arts Theatre. That I remember, maybe because Wo Fat was in it.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Blogger Geofhuth said...

Strange coincidences. I always write a part of a poem on Pi Day (the same poem, I just extend it, digit of pi by digit of pi). And I know Patrick Kurp personally. He interviewed me for an article once, and wrote two articles about me (well, in one I only appeared as a side character).

Geof

 

Post a Comment

<< Home