Wednesday, January 24, 2007

K vs. C

I misspelled Kevin Costner's name yesterday, but I think I'll let it stand, despite my usual editorial standards. Misspellings might be more than mere slips of the keyboard, and in this case I was influenced by (1) my indifference to the actor of that name, and (2) the fact that there is a street named Kostner on the northwest side of Chicago. I don't see that street much any more, but when I lived in Chicago I would pass by it often enough to notice.


I got a summons for standby jury duty a few weeks ago, but when I called in the evening the recorded message told me that I wasn't needed on Thursday. Only people whose last names began with J (as in Juliet, it said, as in The Most Excellent and Lamentable Tragedie of Romeo and Ethel, the Pirate's Daughter) and K (as in kilo, it said) needed to show up. Kevin Costner would have gotten a pass, too.


Just as well, I guess, though I would have liked sitting around reading most of the day, and I wouldn't have minded being on a jury. But I could also use a normal Thursday, so I plan to have one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home