Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Match Game 07

Before hearing about the passing of Brett Somers this week, I hadn't thought much about Match Game in years (or Somers, for that matter). I mean the 1970s version of that show, of course, not any earlier or later version. I used to watch it, especially in its early years. Many, many people about my age could say the same. It was a way to waste time, but pretty much a perfect way to waste time, and I don't regret it for a moment.


You'd think as a time-waster, though, Match Game would be a thing of the past. Not so: With YouTube, all frivolous video pastimes of yore are back!


The name of the show actually included the number of the year, beginning with Match Game 73. On the last show broadcast each year, they would change the sign to reflect the upcoming year. I remember those occasions better than most of the rest of the show. This is one example.


I was also interested to learn, from that clip, that MAD writer Dick DeBartolo was also a Match Game writer.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am one of those of your age group who used to watch Matchgame 73-75. I watched it in the den on a rust/avocado/cream loveseat or sometimes on the beanbag chair. I liked Dick Gauthier. MT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home