Thursday, September 13, 2007

Best Wishes, Sam & Emily

An occasion for best wishes: My nephew Sam is getting married to a girl named Emily, from Grand Rapids, Mich. The two have set a date for next March, in Grand Rapids.


The first time I met Sam was in May 1983, in Dallas. My brother, his father, recorded the occasion with this photo. Sam is the three-month-old in the picture.



I'm the tall one, a newly minted college grad with the 20th-century equivalent of the Grand Tour to look forward to at that moment -- that is, a summer in Europe. Sam's mother, Deb, is holding him; my mother, and Sam's grandma, is to my right; to Deb's left is my mother's first cousin, Jean; and to her left is Jackie, her daughter, thus my second cousin. Jackie's wedding in the late 1960s is the first wedding I ever recall attending, and I only really remember the cake. To my mother's right is Al, Jean's husband, who has since passed away. I vaguely remember, when I was a kid, that he had something to do with Charles Chips (maybe he had a franchise).

1 Comments:

At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took this picture, apparently, but I have no recollection of doing so, though I do remember visiting Dallas for a couple of days in the Spring of 1983 with the infant Sam. Al Horsman did have some sort of Charles Chips franchise for a number of years in the 60's and 70's. I think he had retired from that by the time this picture was taken. He told me once that his first job, as a teenager in Chicago in the 20's, was driving a beer truck for Al Capone. ANK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home