Thursday, September 20, 2007

Wrong Ain't Got a Chance

This week seems to be about obscure old TV, so I might as well continue with it. The Internet's role as a repository for the obscure never ceases to amaze. Take Exhibit A.


Until this week, that show existed, for me, only at the extreme fringes of memory. I was only five, but it had spacemen and cavemen -- so I must have been paying attention. Not that I'd recommend watching very much of it now. Bad is bad. But still, I'm glad I spared a few minutes for it here in 2007.


I never watched Exhibit B that I remember. This clip is the only piece of the show I've ever seen, but I do remember reading about it, since it was often cited as an example of one of early TV's bizarre titles, and as a bizarre concept for a sitcom that never caught on. I'd have to agree with that. Like Exhibit A, a version of B's theme appears on the theme-song compilation album Teevee Toons, which I acquired on tape in the 1980s, so I was much more familiar with the theme than any of the rest of it.


A fellow I used to work with more than 20 years ago once told me that the theme to Bonanza actually had words -- which he sang a bit of, adding that it was wise that the show used an instrumental version instead. Maybe. But this version is quite good -- how could Johnny Cash do otherwise with it?

2 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim was fond of It's About Time, probably because it had dinosaurs in it. According to IMDb, it premiered when you were five, in September, 1966. My recollection is that, for the most part, it was stupid without being funny. I've read that Jerry van Dyke is still irritated with himself for turning down Gilligan's Island to do My Mother, the Car. He reportedly though Gilligan's Island sounded "too silly." ANK

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Geofhuth said...

Dees,

I'd never heard of "It's About Time," but in Nancy's neighborhood (so she reports) they modified the theme song to "It's about time/It's about place/It's about time/I slapped your face." I never saw this show, I suppose, since I was out of the country the entire time it was on and for a year afterwards.

I did see a few episodes of "My Mother the Car" somehow. Never thought much of it, but how ridiculous it was. (I was under 10.) But no show ever got more high concept than that.

Geof

 

Post a Comment

<< Home